Arroyo Hondo Collections Move Assistant (Temporary Position)
Function: The collections move assistant will help with the transfer of the Arroyo Hondo archaeological collection from SAR to the state archaeological repository at the Center for New Mexico Archaeology (CNMA). The assistant will be responsible for supporting the move of this large and significant collection resulting from a multi-year excavation of a Coalition to Classic period Ancestral Puebloan site in the Upper Rio Grande Valley.
This position will inventory the already boxed collection, transport boxes from the SAR campus to the CNMA, and then process them to the CNMA’s standards for rehousing. They will need to familiarize themselves with the current CNMA database and Microsoft Access 95 in order to create reports to facilitate inventorying. They will verify that the field bags or artifacts have all pertinent information adhering to the New Mexico Procedures Manual for Submission of Archaeological Artifact and Records Collections. They may oversee interns and volunteers assisting with the rehousing. They will also need to be able to coordinate and work with SAR and CNMA staff. This position is temporary, full time (40 hours per week), non-exempt, for one (1) year from the date of hire.
- Prepare collections for move to new space, focusing primarily on creating inventories before transfer to the CNMA.
- Transfer boxes to the CNMA and process and rehouse contents into new boxes.
- Oversee database report retrieval—must be willing to learn the CNMA database and Arroyo Hondo database (Microsoft Access 95) in order to print reports for inventory.
- Serve as team leader/supervisor of interns and volunteers recruited to assist with the move and rehousing.
- Ensure all preparation and move tasks follow established policies and procedures and meet required deadlines.
- Ensure safety of objects, specimens, and staff during preparation and move.
- Report regularly to the IARC collections manager and CNMA staff regarding the progress of the move and inform the collections manager of any concerns.
- Other duties as assigned.
Supervision: The position reports to the IARC collections manager.
Required Qualifications: Minimum of one (1) year archaeological experience; demonstrated knowledge of archaeological materials and nomenclature, including ability to compile inventories of materials using basic material classifications (ceramics, chipped stone, etc.) and inventories of records of excavations; attention to detail and high tolerance for tedious tasks; basic knowledge of storage practices and collections management; and database computer skills are necessary. Associate’s or bachelor’s degree in anthropology, Southwest studies, museum studies, or history desired. Knowledge of older Access database or willingness to learn; good interpersonal skills and ability to excel in a team-oriented environment; reliable vehicle to report to two separate work locations.
Position will be based out of the SAR campus at 660 Garcia Street in Santa Fe in the beginning of the project but may move to the CNMA, located at 7 Old Cochiti Road in Santa Fe, once it has been cleared to do so by the state. It will be necessary to split time between the two locations.
Salary: The hourly rate for this position is $17.80. Benefit participation includes health insurance at a shared cost with SAR, dental, paid holidays, and paid leave.
To Apply: Initial application deadline is Friday, July 10, and position will remain open until filled. Application will be e-mailed in one (1) pdf file and include cover letter, résumé, and list of three (3) professional references. The pdf file name should include candidate’s last name. E-mail to Sandoval@sarsf.org.