Field TripsThe Mystery of Burnt Corn Pueblo and Petroglyph Hill
Only SAR members may sign up for the School’s popular field trips, which are offered on seasonal schedules throughout the year and range from half-day trips to adventures lasting several days.
View a list of field trips in the calendar section.
To ensure that field trip registration is equitable, SAR has adopted a lottery system. Instructions and relevant dates for the registration lottery are found at the bottom of each individual field trip description. Please note that memberships at or above the Galisteo level receive priority registration.
Bring Your Own Reusable Water Bottle on SAR Field Trips
As part of SAR’s commitment to sustainable resource use and a healthy environment, we will no longer supply disposable water bottles during our field trips. Instead we are asking that field trip participants bring their own refillable water bottles. Additional water will be available to participants for the refilling of their bottles on full-day trips. A selection of sodas will also continue to be available on field trips.
Trip Activity Levels
- Easy: Limited walking. Participants must be able to get in and out of vans and walk unassisted short distances from parking areas to museums or art studios.
- Moderate: Participants must be in good health. Activities may require walking on paved or unpaved surfaces with generally firm footing, over distances of up to 2 miles over the course of the day.
- Strenuous: Participants must be in excellent health, extremely mobile, and accustomed to an active lifestyle. Activities may require hiking off-trail, over uneven ground with elevation changes of 500 feet, and walking the equivalent of up to 5 miles over the course of the day.
SAR’s field trips are operated at a very reasonable cost to our members. To keep our field trips operating smoothly and fairly, SAR is implementing the following cancellation policy as of June 1, 2007.
- 100% refund one month prior to the field trip
- 75% refund less than one month, if your spot can be filled from a wait list; 25% will be retained as an administrative fee.
- No refund if cancellation occurs less than two weeks prior to the start of the field trip.
- In the case of illness or injury, and the participant can not attend the field trip, refund is 100% if notification is more than one month in advance; and 75% refund if less than one month, retaining 25% as an administrative fee.
SAR reserves the right to cancel a field trip if registration is too low to make it economically viable or for other reasons, including weather, safety, forest fires, unavailability of trip leader, etc. In such cases SAR will refund registrants’ fees in full. SAR also reserves the right to make changes to an advertised itinerary as circumstances require.
|Next Field Trip...|
Friday, October 31, 2014, 8:00 am–4:00 pm Guaje Canyon: Archaeology and Fire on the Pajarito Plateau Trip Leaders: Rory Gauthier and Dr. Craig Allen
|See more field trips|