KEY DATES IN SAR’s 110-YEAR HISTORY



Edgar Lee Hewett at Caroline Bridge in Utah, 1907Edgar Lee Hewett at Caroline Bridge in Utah, 1907Edgar Lee Hewett at Caroline Bridge in Utah, 19071907: School of American Archaeology founded by Edgar Lee Hewett, leading to some of the most significant archaeological digs in the Southwest in the twentieth century, including Bandelier, Chaco Canyon, and Mesa Verde, among others.


The School’s first publicationThe School’s first publicationThe School’s first publication1908: School’s first published report, eventually leading to creation of SAR Press. To date, SAR Press has published over 700 volumes, which have shaped innovative scholarly thought in anthropology, the social sciences, and Native American art.


1917: Name changed to School of American Research by founder Edgar Lee Hewett to better reflect the School’s expanded focus on “the entire group of subjects that proceed from the study of man.”


1922: The School launches Southwest Indian Fair, precursor to Indian Market, which it sponsored through 1926. Today Santa Fe’s Indian Market is the largest and most prestigious intertribal fine art market in the world.

1922 Southwest Indian Fair exhibit, started by SAR, held during Fiesta1922 Southwest Indian Fair exhibit, started by SAR, held during Fiesta1922 Southwest Indian Fair exhibit, started by SAR, held during Fiesta

1959: School separates from the Museum of New Mexico and distinguishes itself as an independent institution, which continues to gather and care for its own impressive collection of Native American art.


1967: Douglas W. Schwartz named president. Schwartz revitalized the institution and broadened its focus to embrace advanced scholarship in anthropology and the humanities worldwide and to promote the study, preservation, and creation of Southwest Indian art.

Douglas W. Schwartz becomes president of the School, 1967Douglas W. Schwartz becomes president of the School, 1967Douglas W. Schwartz becomes president of the School, 1967

1968: First SAR advanced seminar held. Today’s advanced seminars draw leading scholars from around the world to expand knowledge of humanity’s past and forge pioneering solutions to today’s challenges.

1968, First SAR advanced seminar held1968, First SAR advanced seminar heldSAR’s first advanced seminar, “Cultural Processes and Civilization,” chaired by Joseph R. Caldwell, was held at St. John’s College in 1968, when SAR still had no campus of its own.1968, First SAR advanced seminar heldSAR’s first advanced seminar, “Cultural Processes and Civilization,” chaired by Joseph R. Caldwell, was held at St. John’s College in 1968, when SAR still had no campus of its own.

1972: “El Delirio” campus bequeathed to SAR by Elizabeth White. The historic eight-acre property, which includes some of the original buildings, offers a uniquely inspiring environment that nurtures creative thought for scholars and artists.


1973: Resident scholar program begins. Since then, SAR has funded the work of more than 350 SAR scholars and artists, among whose ranks are six MacArthur Fellows and eighteen Guggenheim Fellows.


1978: IARC building completed, allowing SAR to amass one of the most important collections of Southwest Native American art in the world and provide a venue to engage Native American communities and visiting public in in-depth ways. The IARC has welcomed approximately 30,000 visitors since 1978.

Stocking the shelves at the newly completed Indian Arts Research Center building, 1978Stocking the shelves at the newly completed Indian Arts Research Center building, 1978Stocking the shelves at the newly completed Indian Arts Research Center building, 1978

1984: Thanks to a bequest from Katrin H. Lamon, Ramona Sakiestewa (Hopi) and Greg Cajete (Santa Clara Pueblo) are the first Native American artist fellows at SAR.

Greg Cajete (Santa Clara Pueblo) and Ramona Sakiestewa (Hopi), SAR’s first Native American artist fellows, 1984Greg Cajete (Santa Clara Pueblo) and Ramona Sakiestewa (Hopi), SAR’s first Native American artist fellows, 1984Greg Cajete (Santa Clara Pueblo) and Ramona Sakiestewa (Hopi), SAR’s first Native American artist fellows, 1984

1994: IARC secures separate funding for artist residencies. The School has provided fellowships for seventy-one Native American artists since 1984, many of whom are internationally recognized.

2001: Douglas W. Schwartz retires as president and becomes an SAR senior scholar, continuing to research, write, lecture, and guide field trips at SAR.

Doug Schwartz at his retirement party in 2001 where he received his portrait from the board of directors.Doug Schwartz at his retirement party in 2001 where he received his portrait from the board of directors.The portrait now hangs in the Douglas W. Schwartz Seminar House on campus.Doug Schwartz at his retirement party in 2001 where he received his portrait from the board of directors.The portrait now hangs in the Douglas W. Schwartz Seminar House on campus.

2007: Celebration of the School’s centennial. This was a momentous year in which SAR changed its name from the School of American Research to the School for Advanced Research to better reflect the global reach of its support for scholarship in the social sciences and humanities.


2016: In partnership with many museums throughout the country, including the National Museum of the American Indian, the IARC launches “Guidelines for Collaboration,” an online resource for tribal communities and museums.

Follow us: